Fingernail & Toenail Drug Testing
Fingernail drug testing (or toenail drug testing) is similar to hair strand drug testing. Each person’s nails grow out of a nail bed that is connected to the body’s blood flow. Fingernails and toenails are composed of a hard protein called keratin and are tested with the same process as hair.
Drugs are deposited into nails from the bloodstream and remain locked in the nail as it grows.
If drugs are used and enter the bloodstream, the nail bed (and thus nail clippings) will carry traces of the abused substances. A toenail or fingernail drug test can screen for substances from a longer duration than other forms of drug testing.
Why choose nail testing over hair testing?
If you’re debating whether to do a fingernail or hair drug test, here are a few of the advantages to fingernail testing:
- Nail testing provides a wider window into possible drug use. Traces of drugs ingested or consumed within the past six to eight months can potentially be detected depending on length of the nail.
- Nail clippings can always be collected (even if someone shaved their head.)
- There is no reliable way to cheat this test (nail polish or other attempts cannot mask what lies within the nail beds.)
For reliable, accurate and confidential fingernail or toenail drug testing, call your local ARCpoint Labs.
How We Collect for Fingernail Drug Testing
Here is how we collect specimens for a toenail or fingernail drug test:
- The nail is clipped or shaved for testing.
- It is then cleaned thoroughly with a chemical substance.
- The cleaned specimen is then liquefied and tested.
- Almost nothing can alter the chemical composition of the nail’s hard keratin protein, which makes it very difficult to alter the test or artificially produce a negative test result.
Fingernail and toenail drug testing is just one of ARCpoint Labs’ accurate and professional testing options. Prior to your test we’re happy to answer any questions or concerns to ensure a fingernail drug test is the right option for you.
Schedule a fingernail drug test at an ARCpoint Labs location near you.
Accurate. Reliable. Confidential Testing. Contact ARCpoint Labs to learn more about our toenail and fingernail drug test.